Friday, February 12, 2010

The Joy of Joists

Most days we get off on the right foot, today we started on the right joists.

That's right, after negotiating with my landlord to cover almost the entire cost of the floor
reno (which btw, is his responsibility really, and plus, I'm covering all the labour, it's the LEAST he can do) we purchased all the materials and had them delivered to the Shop.

A few days ago I posted a photo of the large hole tha
t was at the back of the building, well today, that void was filled with PLENTY of wood and nails! To top it all off, it's all level and plum! Wow, what a concept. Now I won't be scared of installing my walk-ins right over top of the rotted out floors :)


I decided that some people reading this may want to see what I look like, in case we meet in the street. So popped into the washroom and took this, oh so flattering, self portrait. It's my 'reno, things are banging, and I'm too cheap to let the furnace run before I make any money' Get Up. Not bad eh? You'll also notice that I'm wearing my ever comfortable Winter Beard. My beautiful wife dislikes it... In fact, she doesn't dislike IT per say, she doesn't like giving me a kiss when I wear it. It tickles her nose. So this season, we're both in luck, I get to keep it uninterrupted, and she doesn't have to worry about the tickle. Win win I'd say... kinda.....



Anyways, on to one last thing and this is directed to all my friends and collegues from the kitchen. So working in the industry (food) you get to use all these Extra Large Tools that you wouldn't see in a regular home cook setting. Working in the Construction Industry, you Also get to use tools that are oversized, even, I would go as far as saying on steroids.

Today I used a Paslode. Now I had used one many times before, but not before I met FIL and he showed me one. Today I was thinking to myself, I wonder how many people have seen a Hammer on Steroids....... and then it came to me! This is EXACTLY like a Commercial Immersion Blender! Colours and all! I just thought I would share this piece of knowledge with you all... you know.... for betterment of the general public.





All and all productive day.

and before I leave you for the evening, I'd like to share an epiphany of sorts that FIL and I had today. Plumbing, is for plumbers.... Hence, we decided to hire a plumber to do the work... This may have ensued from several things. Could have been the amount of work we Already have to do. Could have been that it will be fairly lengthy process. OR it could have been from the 16 inch wide crawl space, full of god knows what, that we saw and realized that one of us, probably the younger of the two, was going to have to be on all fours crawling through. In case you didn't know, I'm claustrophobic. THIS; not a good idea. And really, even if I wasn't, I don't think it would have happened. So we hired a plumber. Needless to say, I'm going to have to cut somewhere...

A quick question (wow this never ends): I've been thinking of posting the blog address in large letters on brown paper in the windows of the shop.. get people going and looking.... thoughts? Eventually i was going to put the website, but.... I was thinking of waiting. Is it too early?

Please stay tuned....

1 comment: